BOAT Board of Directors
Immediate Past President
Second Past President
TML Board Representative
Associate Director at Large
Director at Large
Director at Large
Director at Large
Director at Large
BOAT Board of Director Bios
Mike “Mo” Olson
Director of Community Development
City of McGregor
Mr. Olson began his work with the City of McGregor in 2009 as the Building Official. He was promoted to Director of Community Development in early 2010. Previously, Mo worked in 2006 for the City of Copperas Cove as a building inspector and was promoted in 2007 to senior building inspector. Mo has been in multiple facets of the building industry since 1995. Mo is married to his beautiful wife, Vicki. They have one son and a daughter due in October 2013.
Mr. Olson serves in the following organizations:
- Building Officials Association of Texas, Board of Directors–Director at Large
- ICC Bluebonnet Chapter, President
- McLennan County Health District, Board Member
- McLennan County MPO
City of Rockwall
Mr. Widmer began his municipal career in 1990 and has served as Chief Building Official for the City of Rockwall since 1998. Prior to that, he worked for the Town of Addison and the City of Rowlett.
Current responsibilities for the City of Rockwall include the Building Inspections, Neighborhood Improvement Services and Health Departments. Past duties also included eight years of management responsibilities of the City’s Animal Services Department and Animal Adoption Center.
Mr. Widmer is a Certified Building Official, has earned a State of Texas Plumbing Inspector License, a State of Texas Code Enforcement Officer license, a State of Texas Animal Control certification and holds several ICC certifications. In addition he is a graduate of the University of Virginia’s Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service’s Leading, Educating and Developing (LEAD) Program and also Leadership Rockwall.
Selso A. Mata, A.I.A, C.B.O.
Chief Building Official
City of Plano
Joined the City of Plano in 1995, Selso has been Plano’s Chief Building Official for the past ten years. Plano became an IAS Accredited Building Department in 2007 and was reaccredited in 2010 and 2014. Prior work experience includes eight years in the field of architecture working on various commercial projects including banks, government offices, multi-family housing, and numerous schools. From 1999 through 2002, he served on the legacy codes ICBO Evaluation Service Committee and more recently as an evaluator for the International Accreditation Service (IAS).
Mr. Mata served five years as an IAS Board of Director and is a past President of the North Texas Chapter of ICC and served on the 2009 ICC Nominations Committee. He is the Chair for the North Texas Council of Governments Building Advisory Committee and serves as the chair of the Board of Directors for the Construction Research Center at UTA. Mr. Mata holds a Bachelors of Architecture from Texas Tech University and a Certificate of Public Management from UT Dallas. Mr. Mata is a Certified Building Official, a registered architect in the State of Texas and holds several ICC certifications.
Kurt E. Kasson, CBO
City of Allen
An employee of the City of Allen with more than 18 years of municipal experience. Mr. Kasson also has more than 17 years experience in construction, including the window industry, post-tension cable industry, and remodeling. He holds ICC certification as a Certified Building Official and as a Combination Plumbing Inspector.
Mr. Kasson also holds Texas state licenses as a plumbing inspector, code enforcement officer, and fire inspector. Additionally, Kurt has a certification as an air conditioning technician.
- Building Officials Association of Texas, Board of Directors – Member, Vice President, and President (current)
- North Texas Chapter of ICC, Secretary/Treasurer, Vice President, and President
- ICC Region X, Secretary/Treasurer, President, and Past President
Honors and Awards:
- Received the Jim Whatley Award for Building Official of the Year in 2005
- Served as Sergeant of Arms during the 2005 and 2006 ICC Code Conference
- Helped form the ICC Region X Chapter
- Was a member of the team that visited Capital Hill in Washington during Building Safety Week 2007 and lobbied for the CDBGA
- Served on the Nominating committee for the 2007 ICC elections in Reno.
- Served on the IRC Plumbing and Gas committee for the 2009 code changes in Palm Springs
Brett L. King, CBO
City of Carrollton
Brett joined the City of Carrollton in 1993, and has served in several positions with the city prior to becoming the Chief Building Official in 2012. Before working for Carrollton, Brett spent time as a homebuilder, highway inspector and sports facility manager. He is a longtime instructor and moderator at the Building Professionals Institute at the University of Texas at Arlington and serves on the UTA Construction Research Advisory Committee.
Brett holds a number of ICC certifications including Certified Building Official, and is a Past President of the North Texas Chapter of ICC. Brett contributed to Chapter 7 of Building Department Administration, 3rd ed., and updated chapters 6-9 of the 4th edition. He proudly holds a bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M University.
Scott McDonald, CBO
Deputy Director of Development Services
City of Denton
Since joining the City of Amarillo in 2007, Scott McDonald has transformed a department once known as code enforcement into a department that truly represents its modernized name – Building Safety. Due to his efforts, he was recognized with the “Community Service Award” from the International Code Council (ICC), an award that represents a committed effort to serve the community.
In the regulatory industry for more than 15 years, Mr. McDonald served as the building official for Washtenaw County in Ann Arbor, Michigan, before coming to Amarillo. He also owned a construction company and built smaller commercial properties, as well as multi-family residential and custom homes, prior to becoming a regulatory inspector.
Mr. McDonald has served on several International Code Council (ICC) boards at local, state and regional levels and has numerous ICC certifications. He currently serves as a gubernatorial appointee on the Texas Industrialized Buildings Code Council, on the ICC Governing Committee of the Building Officials Membership Council, and he serves on the University of Texas at Arlington Construction Research Advisory Committee.
Mr. McDonald has an applied science degree from Baker College and is currently working towards his Bachelors in applied science business degree at Wayland Baptist University.
- Building Officials Association of Texas, BOAT TML Board Representative
- Texas Panhandle Inspectors Association, 1st Vice President, Education Chair
- Association of Plumbing Heating Cooling Contractors of Texas (PHCC-TX), Instructor, 2011-present
- National Institute of Building Sciences, Board of Direction Member, April 2012 – Present
- National Fire Protection Association, Fire Inspector I
- Code Officials Conference of Michigan, Director, 2005-2007
Teresa Adrian, CCEA
Director – Code Enforcement
City of Irving
Teresa joined the City of Irving in January 1999. As the Code Enforcement Department Director, her area of oversight includes the Multifamily; Property Codes; Vector Control; Corridors; and Keep Irving Beautiful divisions. She holds multiple ICC certifications; is a certified Building Inspector; Licensed Code Enforcement Officer; and Certified Code Enforcement Administrator. Prior to joining the City of Irving, Teresa worked in the property management industry for over 15 years in Management, Marketing, Public Relations and Training.
- American Association of Code Enforcement
- 2017 Immediate Past President
- 2016 President
- 2015 1st VP
- 2014 Sgt. At Arms
- Building Professional Institute – Instructor/Moderator
- Building Officials Assn. of Texas – Disaster Response Team Member
- City of Irving – Health Board Liaison
Michael Beard, CBO, CFM
Chief Building Inspector
City of Harker Heights
Michael started his career in the inspections field in May of 2008 in Lampasas Texas as a Code Enforcement Officer/Building Inspector. He was promoted to Building Official in early 2010 where he remained until November of 2012, when Michael was offered a position at the City of Harker Heights as the Chief Building Inspector/Assistant Building Official.
Michael holds several ICC certifications, and is a Texas State Board plumbing inspector, registered code enforcement officer and a registered certified floodplain manager (CFM). He is also a licensed Real Estate Inspector.
- Bluebonnet ICC Chapter President (current)
- 2016 recipient of BOAT’s 2016 Code Professional
- 2015 recipient of the Bluebonnet ICC Chapter member of the Year
Field Services Manager – Development Services Department
City of San Antonio
Sylvia has served the citizens of San Antonio in several positions for 25 years. As a Code Compliance officer, she helped drive significant change to compliance challenges and city ordinances affecting metal recycling facilities. As a Dangerous Premises officer, she conducted assessments of vacant and dilapidated structures, presented demolition cases to the City’s Building Standards Board, and provided expert testimony in numerous court cases. Sylvia led the City’s Investigation Team, providing the Development Services Director with critical building and trade information to make determinations on the revocation of certificates of occupancy, building safety and stop work orders. As Chief Building Inspector, she led the highly skilled, multiple-trade Combination Inspection Team. Sylvia was recently promoted to Field Services Manager responsible for the daily operations and activities of all inspections. She helped create the department’s first-ever Disaster Response Team.
- Served two terms on the International Code Council Disaster Response Exam Development Committee (2011 – 2014)
- Has been a voting member for four different ICC Code Hearings
- Incident Command System (ICS) National Incident Management System (NIMS) 100, 100b, 300, 400,700 and 800
- TDSHS Code Enforcement Officer License
- ICC Property Maintenance/Housing Inspector
- ICC Residential Combination Inspector
- ICC Residential Building Inspector
- ICC Residential Electrical Inspector
- ICC Disaster Response Inspector
- ICC Residential Mechanical Inspector
- ICC Building Plans Examiner
- ICC Commercial Building Inspector
- ICC Residential Plumbing Inspector