BOAT Board of Directors
Immediate Past President
Second Past President
TML Board Representative
Associate Director at Large
Director at Large
Teresa Adrian, CCEA
Director at Large
Director at Large
Director at Large
BOAT Board of Director Bios
Mike “Mo” Olson
Director of Community Development
City of McGregor
Mr. Olson began his work with the City of McGregor in 2009 as the Building Official. He was promoted to Director of Community Development in early 2010. Previously, Mo worked in 2006 for the City of Copperas Cove as a building inspector and was promoted in 2007 to senior building inspector. Mo has been in multiple facets of the building industry since 1995. Mo is married to his beautiful wife, Vicki. They have one son and a daughter due in October 2013.
Mr. Olson serves in the following organizations:
- Building Officials Association of Texas, Board of Directors–Director at Large
- ICC Bluebonnet Chapter, President
- McLennan County Health District, Board Member
- McLennan County MPO
City of Rockwall
Mr. Widmer began his municipal career in 1990 and has served as Chief Building Official for the City of Rockwall since 1998. Prior to that, he worked for the Town of Addison and the City of Rowlett.
Current responsibilities for the City of Rockwall include the Building Inspections, Neighborhood Improvement Services and Health Departments. Past duties also included eight years of management responsibilities of the City’s Animal Services Department and Animal Adoption Center.
Mr. Widmer is a Certified Building Official, has earned a State of Texas Plumbing Inspector License, a State of Texas Code Enforcement Officer license, a State of Texas Animal Control certification and holds several ICC certifications. In addition he is a graduate of the University of Virginia’s Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service’s Leading, Educating and Developing (LEAD) Program and also Leadership Rockwall.
Selso A. Mata, A.I.A, C.B.O.
Chief Building Official
City of Plano
Joined the City of Plano in 1995, Selso has been Plano’s Chief Building Official for the past ten years. Plano became an IAS Accredited Building Department in 2007 and was reaccredited in 2010 and 2014. Prior work experience includes eight years in the field of architecture working on various commercial projects including banks, government offices, multi-family housing, and numerous schools. From 1999 through 2002, he served on the legacy codes ICBO Evaluation Service Committee and more recently as an evaluator for the International Accreditation Service (IAS).
Mr. Mata served five years as an IAS Board of Director and is a past President of the North Texas Chapter of ICC and served on the 2009 ICC Nominations Committee. He is the Chair for the North Texas Council of Governments Building Advisory Committee and serves as the chair of the Board of Directors for the Construction Research Center at UTA. Mr. Mata holds a Bachelors of Architecture from Texas Tech University and a Certificate of Public Management from UT Dallas. Mr. Mata is a Certified Building Official, a registered architect in the State of Texas and holds several ICC certifications.
Kurt E. Kasson, CBO
City of Allen
An employee of the City of Allen with more than 18 years of municipal experience. Mr. Kasson also has more than 17 years experience in construction, including the window industry, post-tension cable industry, and remodeling. He holds ICC certification as a Certified Building Official and as a Combination Plumbing Inspector.
Mr. Kasson also holds Texas state licenses as a plumbing inspector, code enforcement officer, and fire inspector. Additionally, Kurt has a certification as an air conditioning technician.
- Building Officials Association of Texas, Board of Directors – Member, Vice President, and President (current)
- North Texas Chapter of ICC, Secretary/Treasurer, Vice President, and President
- ICC Region X, Secretary/Treasurer, President, and Past President
Honors and Awards:
- Received the Jim Whatley Award for Building Official of the Year in 2005
- Served as Sergeant of Arms during the 2005 and 2006 ICC Code Conference
- Helped form the ICC Region X Chapter
- Was a member of the team that visited Capital Hill in Washington during Building Safety Week 2007 and lobbied for the CDBGA
- Served on the Nominating committee for the 2007 ICC elections in Reno.
- Served on the IRC Plumbing and Gas committee for the 2009 code changes in Palm Springs
Brett L. King, CBO
City of Carrollton
Brett joined the City of Carrollton in 1993, and has served in several positions with the city prior to becoming the Chief Building Official in 2012. Before working for Carrollton, Brett spent time as a homebuilder, highway inspector and sports facility manager. He is a longtime instructor and moderator at the Building Professionals Institute at the University of Texas at Arlington and serves on the UTA Construction Research Advisory Committee.
Brett holds a number of ICC certifications including Certified Building Official, and is a Past President of the North Texas Chapter of ICC. Brett contributed to Chapter 7 of Building Department Administration, 3rd ed., and updated chapters 6-9 of the 4th edition. He proudly holds a bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M University.
Teresa Adrian, CCEA
Director – Code Enforcement
City of Irving
Teresa joined the City of Irving in January 1999. As the Director of the Code Enforcement Department, her areas of oversight include the Multifamily; Property Codes; Vector Control; Corridors; and Keep Irving Beautiful divisions. She is a Certified Building Inspector; Code Enforcement Administrator; Master Code Enforcement Professional; Texas State Licensed Code Enforcement Officer, and holds multiple ICC certifications. Prior to joining the City of Irving, Teresa worked in the property management industry for over 15 years in Management, Marketing, Public Relations and Training.
- Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation
- 2017-2021 Presiding Officer – Code Enforcement Officers Advisory Committee
- American Association of Code Enforcement
- 2017 Immediate Past President
- 2016 President
- 2015 1st VP
- 2014 Sgt. At Arms
- Building Professional Institute – Instructor/Moderator
- Building Officials Association of Texas – Disaster Response Team Member
- Code Enforcement Association of Texas – Member
- City of Irving – Health Board Liaison
Michael Beard, CBO, CFM
Chief Building Inspector
City of Harker Heights
Michael started his career in the inspections field in May of 2008 in Lampasas Texas as a Code Enforcement Officer/Building Inspector. He was promoted to Building Official in early 2010 where he remained until November of 2012, when Michael was offered a position at the City of Harker Heights as the Chief Building Inspector/Assistant Building Official.
Michael holds several ICC certifications, and is a Texas State Board plumbing inspector, registered code enforcement officer and a registered certified floodplain manager (CFM). He is also a licensed Real Estate Inspector.
- Bluebonnet ICC Chapter President (current)
- 2016 recipient of BOAT’s 2016 Code Professional
- 2015 recipient of the Bluebonnet ICC Chapter member of the Year